June 14, 2007

NeoCon 2007 Wrap-Up

Yesterday morning, I managed to get over to the Merchandise Mart and check out this year's NeoCon offerings. I'm disappointed to say that nothing really stood out as awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping, wow. However, I did note some highlights:

MOLO - Molo is a design studio, based in Canada, dedicated to materials research and design exploration. They had on display some really interesting pieces made of cardboard (not sure how well it wears though). I fell in love with Float - a line of thermally resistant glassware:
BERNHARDT - Bertoia's barstool still is #1 with me, however Bernhardt's Aro Barstool is very very nice. The seat is ever so slightly concave, allowing for comfortable seating. PLUS, the seat swivels - can't beat that:
MAHARAM - Every time I go into Maharam's showroom, I get this desire to take a textile's course. A favorite - 'Layers', made of overlapping stitched wool, by Hella Jongerius:
VITRA - Yes, that's right... Vitra has opened a showroom in the Merchandise Mart! However, it is very very very tiny. Still, the design of the showroom was rather cool. On display were primarily office systems and seating, plus a few little odds and ends, including the Eames Plywood Elephant:
I'm so excited... I'll be receiving one of the red elephants in December!!! I can't wait! They are so cool.

No comments: