July 6, 2011

living in a ziploc...



... the plastic is back.

I hate the plastic... let me explain... in and of itself it's harmless... it actually could be a vehicle of creativity... I could have pulled a Christo and gotten all artsy-fartsy in wrapping, covering and plastifying the house during construction prep... that would have been fun... I could have documented it Gordon Matta-Clark style... that would lead me to continue documenting (in a creative and aesthetically challenging yet appealing manner) the entire gut-rehab process... two or so years from now, my creative documentation would be awarded a Graham Foundation Grant... which would lead me to publish a book... I would transition into teaching, while working with non-profits, schools, galleries and design centers, all the while continuing on independent studies and projects from my home office/studio... the sun would shine... it would be in the 70s every day... everyone and the world would be happy and healthy...  

Unfortunately, that's not happening... and it's because the plastic means layer upon layer of dirty dirty construction dust veiled upon everything and then some... it means surprises... expensive surprises... it means weeks of cleaning and still having dust floating around, with attitude, six months from now... it's exhausting the first time around, let alone the fourth... I hate the plastic.

... but I'm giving it one more shot...

Dear Plastic,
I'm afraid our relationship has soured over the years... I think it's time we part ways...
However, before we do, I'm giving you one more chance...
We have called upon you one last time, to protect and serve... save us from the dust...
Yours truly,
I.

No comments: